Mission and Objectives
The British Crop Production Council’s range of conferences, publications, online databases and working groups provides independent, authoritative science-based information to practitioners, researchers and policy-makers. BCPC is a registered charity with a long-standing international reputation.
BCPC (the British Crop Production Council) promotes the use of science and technology in the understanding and application of effective, sustainable crop production. It has no fee-paying membership, and acts independently, to disseminate information and opinion. This includes bringing together representatives of a range of agricultural organisations to deal with common issues.
BCPC’s objectives are to:
- Publish definitive, independent information for growers, advisors and other stakeholders in the food, fuel and fibre production chain, in the form of reference works, manuals and handbooks.
- Organise and co-host conferences and symposia to provide platforms for the reporting and debate of topical scientific results and opinion.
- Identify developing issues in the science and practice of crop protection and production, and provide informed, independent analysis and views on these to opinion formers, government and the public.
We meet these objectives through the following products and services:
1. Informed and Independent Analysis and Views:
- News releases on current topics in science and technology in crop production.
- Responses to consultations and briefs for MPs, Defra, others.
2. Definitive and independent Crop Production and Protection Information:
- The Pesticide Manual, The Manual of BioControl Agents, GM/Biotech Crops Info, The UK Pesticide Guide – comprehensive compendia in hard copy and searchable on-line versions.
- Field Scale Spraying, Small Scale Spraying, Using Pesticides, Spreading Fertilisers and Applying Slug Pellets and the Safety Equipment Handbook – guides for training and grower use.
- BCPC Newslink – the latest news from around the world on current topics including: Agricultural policy and politics, Research and KT, Bioindustry, Environment, Food Security, GM crops, Organics, Pest Control, Pesticides, Soil Management, and Water & Irrigation.
3. Conferences and Symposia
- The BCPC Congress – Annual EU regulatory congress and exhibition.
- BCPC Expert Work Group Reviews: Weeds, Diseases, Pests and Beneficials.
- Specialist science and technology symposia.
4. Science Education
- Life Science Series for children at Key Stage 1.
- Physical Science Series for children at Key Stage 1.
- BCPC Awards – For practical achievements in crop production and protection.