BCPC Mission and objectives
BCPC (British Crop Production Council) promotes the use of good science and technology in the understanding and application of effective and sustainable crop production. BCPC is a Registered Charity and a Company limited by Guarantee.
Its key objectives are to:
- Identify developing issues in the science and practice of crop protection and production, and provide informed, independent analysis and views on these to opinion formers, government and the public;
- Publish definitive, independent information for growers, advisors and other stakeholders in the food, fuel and fibre production chain, in the form of reference works, manuals and handbooks;
- Organise and co-host conferences and symposia to provide platforms for the reporting and debate of topical scientific results and opinion;
- Contribute to UK science education e.g. by providing publications for schools which stimulate interest and learning.
We seek to meet these objectives through the following products and services:
1. Informed and Independent Analysis and Views:
- News releases with opinion on current topics in science and technology in crop production
- Responses to consultations and briefs for MPs, Defra, others.
2. Definitive and independent Crop Production and Protection Information:
- The Pesticide Manual, The Manual of BioControl Agents, The GM Crop Manual, The UK Pesticide Guide
- Technical training handbooks – Field Scale Spraying, Small Scale Spraying, Using Pesticides, Spreading Fertilisers and Applying Slug Pellets and the Safety Equipment Handbook
- On-line or CD technical resources – www.bcpcdata.com, www.plantprotection.co.uk, Identipest, Garden Detective
- Information on current topics including Agricultural Policy, R&D, Bees, Bio-Fuels, Biotech, Climate Change, Environment & Biodiversity, Food Security, GM crops, New Crop Opportunities, Organic Crop Production, Pest Control, Pesticide Use, Application, Regulation, and Resistance, Plant Breeding, Soils and Water Management, via urls in the weekly BCPC News
3. Conferences and Symposia
- BCPC Congress - EU regulatory congress and exhibition
- CropWorld Global: conference and exhibition;
- Specialist science and technology symposia;
- Fora for stakeholders throughout the food chain.
4. Science Education
- Life Science Series for children at Key Stage 1
- Physical Science Series for children at Key Stage 1
- Sponsorship for post-graduate posters at CropWorld
More details on all BCPC’s activities and its products and services can be found in the following webpages.
This is a call for posters to this year's BCPC Postgraduate Poster competition which will be held at CropWorld Global on 29-30 October 2013 at the RAI Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
To mark the 50th Annual Weed Review BCPC is inviting post-graduate students to present their current work on weed or plant growth regulator related topics. Selected poster presenters will be welcome to attend the Review which takes place at Rothamsted Research Conference Centre on 14 November 2013.
REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
BCPC, in association with TSGE Forum, are delighted to announce the launch of a new Congress focussed on the regulatory issues affecting crop production and protection in the EU. The event will take place on 1-2 October 2013, at the Hilton Metropole Hotel, Brighton, Sussex, UK.